Thursday, April 17, 2008

color inspiration

As many of you know, I am very indecisive - a trait that I proudly inherited from my beautiful mother, pictured with me below. I'll just get it out of the way now, I know, she looks more like my big sister than my mother.

As a result, I have been trying for weeks now to decide on a paint color for our kitchen and dining room. It is going to be more like one large room now, since Kyle is currently in the process of tearing down the wall that currently separates them. To make it feel even more like one big room, I want all of the walls to be the same color. I was set on using a grayish blue color, but when I brought some chips home and put them next to the curtains I want to use, it didn't quite work. The blue in the curtains has more of a greenish tint. So, cousin Jess, Margie, and I went scouting paint colors while they were here last weekend, and picked up a few more chips. I followed Jess' suggestion to hang them on the wall by the curtains and get used to them for a few days, in different lights. I kept coming back to Benjamin Moore icy blue, which was Jess and Margie's favorite, but was still a little stuck on that gray-blue idea for some reason.


Then I was blog surfing today and came across this lovely photo which convinced me that icy blue just might be the one! It showed me that the color can convey a french cafe kind of look, and will work well with both the stainless appliances and the natural colors of the drapes (they are linen).

Here is a swatch of icy blue:



The other obvious advantage is that the color is very reminiscent of the Tiffany box, so I will always feel like a million bucks while cooking and eating. And maybe it will send a subconcious message to Kyle...


What do you think? Love it or leave it?

5 comments:

eyeheartorange said...

love it. I even love the green caper color as an accent!

L said...

Have you seen the new issue of Martha Steward Living? It is the "Color Issue." Lots of paint stuff. Love the icy blue...

Courtney said...

I love it! One of the colors in Benjamin's room is going to be similar. But it's from the Disney line, so it's called "Silly Old Bluebirds." Hehe.

It's beautiful!

Unknown said...

I'm liking it! Maybe it can be one of the colors I help paint!!

Katie said...

Yay- thanks guys! Leah, I was so excited to see that issue of MSL, especially since the color on the cover was close to mine. Kerry, I'm hoping that part of the house will be completed well before you visit! If it's not I think I'll start going crazy!